F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Sun Mar 29 17:01:47 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 06:42:59PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le dimanche 29 mars 2009 à 21:49 +0530, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
>
> > Changes are (primarily) being made upstream. Downstream users can
> > document and communicate changes which we have.
>
> Sorry, but that is utter bull*. The discussed change was requested by
> Ubuntu users. It lived for quite a long time in their distro. Then it
> was submitted upstream by Unbuntu people. For better or worse upstream
> merged it.

No. The patch was written and committed by Daniel Stone, who is not an
Ubuntu developer. The issue was discussed with the Fedora X maintainers
before it was merged. Everyone involved agreed that not having a
keystroke that caused immediate data loss was a sensible idea.

> At the same time, Fedora upstream devs didn't use their influence to
> block the change, didn't try to check what Fedora users wanted, and now
> we get the usual "upstream decided, live with it" speach.

A development mailing list is a poor way of judging user desire, as are
non-representative polls.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org