F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Sun Mar 29 18:13:05 UTC 2009

Christopher Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Matthew Garrett <mjg at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Everyone involved agreed that not having a
>> keystroke that caused immediate data loss was a sensible idea.
>>

> Ha!  Imagine if these same people were in charge of bash.  We would
> have to remove the rm command because someone could accidentally type
> rm.  Imagine if someone accidentally typed rm -fr / as root!!! That
> could be disastrous! !

Kudos.

What many people don't realize is that now instead of when a user sees
that their mouse and keyboard are locked up they can just hit the
Gtrl-Alt-Backspace like they've done for years and kill their X server
and be back at a login prompt, now they're going to call the help desk.
And it going to go like this:

Help Desk> Good morning, Help Desk.  How can I help you?
User>My keyboard and mouse are behaving weird.  I checked the cables and
their plugged in ok.
Help Desk> Sounds like your X server is messed up.  Did you try killing
your X server?
User> Yes, I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Backspace but norhing happened.
Help Desk> What OS is loaded on your workstation?
User> I'm not sure.  They loaded a new one last week.
Help Desk> Ok, let me open a System Administration ticket for you.
They'll call you back in about 10 minutes.
User> Ok, thanks.

Ring
User> Hello.
SysAdmin> Hi, I see your having a problem with your workstation.
User> Yes, my keyboard and mouse aren't responding now.  They just kept
getting slower and slower.
SysAdmin> Ok, it sounds like something has happened to your X server or
you have some runaway process.  Let me check something.
User> Ok.
SysAdmin>  Ok, I can see that your X server is pegged at 98.3 percent of
cpu.  So have you tried killing your X server yet?
User> Yes, I tried Ctrl-Alt-Backspace but it didn't do anything.
SysAdmin>  Ok, I can kill your X server from here.  Would you like me to
do that?
User> Yes, please.
SysAdmin>  Ok, I killed your X server.  What do you see?
User> It went back to the login prompt.
SysAdmin>  Good, you should be able to just log back in now.
User> Yes, I'm in.  Thanks a lot.
SysAdmin>  Your welcome.  Is there anything else I can do for you?
User>  No, I'm fine now.
SysAdmin>  Ok, well have a good day.  I'll close this ticket.
User>  Yes, go ahead.  And thanks again.
SysAdmin>  No problem.  If you have any more problems just call the Help
Desk.  Bye now.
User>  Ok, Bye.

And that's what we're going to start seeing instead of users being able
to manage the situation themselves.

Regards,
Gerry