F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 18:15:31 UTC 2009

Casey Dahlin escreveu:
> Gerry Reno wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
> > Fedora needs to see this change for what it really is and reject it.  We
> > need to continue the historical default behavior for Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
> > that users and sysadmins have counted on for decades without
> > organizations and users needing to install special setups in xorg.conf
> > which is a completely unnecessary bother and a waste of time and
> resources.
>

> I don't terribly care about this change, but I'm thoroughly sick of this
> list's argumentum-ad-I'm-1000-years-old-and-will-never-change.
>
> Any sysadmin who can't handle something like this needs to be fired,
> preferably by the reanimated corpse of Charles Darwin. Adapt and survive.
>
> --CJD
Fedora is not for sysadmins. It id got common users that just purchased
a new notebook or a new box and also for people who's migrating from
Windows Vista or something like that. It's for people who don't know
that <ctrl>+alt+F2 will lead to a console loging and from that they can
do something like killall -KILL Xorg...

Point is: linux is 1000 years old and distros should keep compatibility
with older behaviours.

But even when you consider sysadmins, their performance is evaluated
based on the time they expend doing their tasks and such time is
affected every time behaviour is changed. Ok, after a while they'll
catch up their pace, but the initial loss of performance is anoying.
Fedora people will tell that they should be using RHEL or CENTOS...

IMHO it's irritating when you install Fedora in a box and display is not
OK (from install) and you must seek discussion lists to figure out how
to fix things. It's irritating when you are not able to log as root and
the answer is: well, press Ctrl-Alt-F2 and use a console session. This
is not something acceptable for starters (most of people migrating from
other OSes). It's irritating when gdm configuration is changed and you
get the answer "why you want to enable X to accept foreign connections?"
when people know the (obviouss) answer (that probably you want to have
remote connections).

The consequence of this kind of posture around Linux is that even though
Windows Vista sucked so much, migration to linux was not that sensible
(but I know many companies that migrated to Apple and OS X despite how
expensive Apple hardware is).

Now we are in the middle of an unprecedent crisis. If we don't cat
people's hearts and minds we won't have money to keep financing distros
development. That's a real and immediate problem to be asserted by
developers.