F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

kodis at comcast.net kodis at comcast.net
Sun Mar 29 18:43:56 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 07:26:44PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > ... And still doesn't address the fact that the key combo could be
> > changed to something more obscure rather than disabling it completely.
>
> What do you suggest? I'm serious here, if there's a genuinely
> implausible key combination then it's not going to be rejected out of
> hand - but I haven't been able to come up with one, and I haven't seen
> any good suggestions.

We've already got Alt+SysRq+k, which Wikipedia's description says will
"Kill all processes on the current virtual console (Can be used to
kill X and svgalib programs, see below) This was originally designed
to imitate a Secure Access Key".

Of course since sysrq-magic has been disabled by default for a while
now, this will still require that an echo of "1" to
/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq be done at boot.

-- John Kodis.