F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Mar 29 18:55:13 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Matthew Garrett <mjg at redhat.com> said:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 01:16:10PM -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > If killing the X server is causing data loss, then there's a bug in your
> > applications. In fact, that's an argument for ctl-alt-bs to be a regular
> > part of applications testing.
>
> I don't know about you, but I prefer my text editors not to save to disk
> on every keystroke.

Stop exagerating; that's not required.  Any decent X program _should_
handle saving data if it loses its connection to the X server.  Killing
the server does not terminate all the clients without notice.  And guess
what, many (most?) do.  For example, if I kill X, the next time I start
Firefox, it asks if I want to restore my previous session (which it
dutifully saved away) or start a new one.

So far, your arguments are "I should be able to hit any random key at
any time and not cause any problem" and "applications are so broken they
can't handle an unusual condition and so need to save state at every
change".  Both of those are stupid.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>