F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Ben Boeckel MathStuf at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 19:46:11 UTC 2009

Callum Lerwick wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 19:26 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> >
>> > So we're disabling ctl-alt-del too?
>>
>> No, since working at the console isn't an interesting desktop use
case.

>> > If killing the X server is causing data loss, then there's a bug in
>> > your applications. In fact, that's an argument for ctl-alt-bs to be
>> > regular part of applications testing.
>>
>> I don't know about you, but I prefer my text editors not to save to
disk
>> on every keystroke.
>
> Well, I know for one Vim has crash recovery. And so does OpenOffice.
And
> so does Evolution. This is not a new concept.
>
>> > ... And still doesn't address the fact that the key combo could be
>> > changed to something more obscure rather than disabling it
completely.

>> What do you suggest? I'm serious here, if there's a genuinely
>> implausible key combination then it's not going to be rejected out
of
>> hand - but I haven't been able to come up with one, and I haven't
seen
>> any good suggestions.
>
> Now we're getting somewhere. First we might want to lay down
some
> criteria:
>
> 1) Not every keyboard is a PC-101 (or 104). We run on non-PC
platforms
> too. Example: My Rev C iMac keyboard has left ctl alt and command
(maps
> as the "windows key") but only command on the right side. I've run in
> PC laptops that don't have all modifiers on the right either. Laptops
> typically don't have real number pads.
>
> 2) It would be best to avoid "word" or even symbol keys, to avoid
keymap
> problems. International users will probably appreciate this.
>
> 3) The average person has ten fingers, ten toes and a nose.
>
> 4) At some point you exceed the keyboard's rollover capability...
>
> So, how about:
>
> ctl-alt-shift-backspace
> ctl-alt-shift-backspace-tab
> ctl-alt-shift-enter-spacebar
> ctl-alt-shift-capslock-enter-backspace
> ctl-alt-lshift-rshift-backspace
> ctl-alt-lshift-rshift-backspace-tab
> ctl-alt-lshift-rshift-enter-spacebar
> ctl-alt-lshift-rshift-capslock-enter-backspace
> ctl-alt-lshift-rshift-capslock-backspace-enter-tab-spacebar
>
> ... Do I really need to go on? Pick something. :P

Ctrl-alt-shift-backspace could still be easy with the shallow keys used
on laptops. Both shift keys at the same time is really...odd and most
people only use one shift key (or at least heavily favor one). Double
shift+anything should be rare enough that accidental killing is a sign of
an extremely obscure typing style.

- --Ben