preupgrade today: getting error: cannot download the kickstart file

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun Mar 29 23:49:32 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 01:57:36PM -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> I start the pungi compose a few hours after receiving the rawhide report.
> As long as there are fewer than 100 packages or so, then I consider this
> to be time enough for changes to propagate through the mirror system.

I wish it were that simple.  Perhaps if we had push-mirroring in
place, it would be.  As it stands, each mirror schedules its own
syncs.  Some every hour or so, some every 6, some once a day.  Rawhide
being the fastest churning piece on the mirror system, exposes these
latencies in ways that the other content simply doesn't.

During the F11-Alpha cycle, some bugs in MirrorManager have been
discovered and fixed which may have lead to more redirections to stale
mirrors.  These should be reduced, but I can't promise they'll be
completely eliminated.  MM shouldn't return stale mirrors more than ~6
hours stale.  If you need a more deterministic update latency for your
specific test purposes, I recommend you point your baseurl entries at
download.fedora.redhat.com.

Thanks,
Matt

--