"Please split doc into foo-doc subpackage" -> why?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 18:39:55 UTC 2009

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> I just recieved one of these bugs (#492446), and I'm not sure
> why we'd do this for any package.
>
> If we split the docs like this:
>
> - it would be inconsistent per-package
> -- so an admin wouldn't know whether a package had docs or not in
>    the main package without manually trying to install a foo-doc
>    subpackage
> -- they would no longer be there by default if they're needed
>
> Hence, why do this, when rpm already has a --nodocs flag and
> macro that can be used for space savings on live images?

If the docs are large it can be a win because the end user doesn't have
to download the docs(in the rpm) before it gets installed.  Also the use
case of a -docs subpackage is when you want to exclude the docs for a
single package rather than for every package on the system.

In the specific bug you cite I agree with you: 1) --nodocs seems like a
better choice for live media. 2) 1 MB doesn't seem excessively large in
terms of download size so the case for a -docs subpackage seems a little
weak.

-Toshio