F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Giancarlo Niccolai gc at falconpl.org
Tue Mar 31 10:19:21 UTC 2009

Anders Rayner-Karlsson wrote:
> * Giancarlo Niccolai <gc at falconpl.org> [20090331 09:54]:
>
>> Anders Rayner-Karlsson wrote:
>>
>>> * Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> [20090331 03:56]:

>>> [snip]

>>> You have an excessive amount of faith in people. This discussion will
>>> be had again (and again), probably by mostly the same people, once
>>> it's rolled out in a release. Same arguments, same flames, possibly a
>>> different list.
>>>

>> I rarely step in threads, so forgive me for this once.
>>
>> Good computing => "least surprise effect".
>> People coming from windows => ctrl+alt+<fumble>bs  "OH CRAP --- I am so
>> XXXX I forgot to save my work files in 15 Word (ops, Openoffice) windows
>> in the past 3 days!!!!"
>> People knowing their systems and just upgrading => x blocked =>
>> ctrl+alt+bs ... ctrl+alt+bs... "what the..." ... CTRL+ALT+BS. "OH SHIT
>> -- I got to hard reboot loosing all the work on console sessions and
>> possibly fucking up that crap of XXXX filesystem the installer forced me
>> to use!!!!"
>>

> If people truly know their systems, as you suggest they do, your
> second scenario will not happen. Switching to a vc is hardly rocket
> surgery if you are at all familiar with the system. Trying C-A-Bs and
> finding it ineffective, it's not a big step to trying C-A-F[1-6] to
> see if you can get a vc. Anyone incapable of something so truly simple
> would probably not resort to C-A-Bs in the first instance, but go for
> the powerswitch immediately.

it may be educated enough to try it. But it is not like that an X
session hang so bad that you have to ctrl-alt-bs it will allow you to
CAF1-6 at all, or will let you to do anything meaningful with it (i.e.
bash may not be able to get the resources to start). When you HAVE to
CABs, it's because you CAN'T CAF1-6.

(There was my two cents, so don't expect me to join in this convo; I
just wanted to correct your assumption that you may CAF1-6 away a
situation in which you have to CABs, which is wrong, as another poster
pointed out).

GN.