F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Giancarlo Niccolai gc at falconpl.org
Tue Mar 31 10:27:04 UTC 2009

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Giancarlo Niccolai wrote:
>

>> Good computing => "least surprise effect".
>> People coming from windows => ctrl+alt+<fumble>bs  "OH CRAP --- I am
>> so XXXX I forgot to save my work files in 15 Word (ops, Openoffice)
>> windows in the past 3 days!!!!"
> And where is the problem? These people have just been through an
> elementary lesson on difference of OSes in a violent way.
>
> Or to put it conversely: Who do these windoze newbies think they are
> to throw away a well-known and valuable feature has been around for 15
> years or more?
>
> Ralf

I don't know if you noticed it, but that was exactly my point. We can't
prevent anyone from doing dumb things; there will always be a smarter
way to do dumb things just the same. It seemed to me that the above
"people coming from windows" surprise situation is a bit ridiculous, and
I hoped someone else  felt the same way (as you do). By extension,
preventing that surprise by denying a nearly vital feature, unless you
find out the hard way that it has been removed is and are probably not
in the position to re-enable it,... is just at the same level of the
surprise it wanted to spare.

Just, I thought we were all  linuxsters enough to get the puny of that
right away.

GN.