Adobe flash - high CPU, F11, radeon

planetf1 bugs at cherrybyte.me.uk
Tue Mar 31 19:26:53 UTC 2009

I've raised a number of video bugs, but after some advice on this one....

When playing flash videos on a Thinkpad T60p core duo @ 2.16 Ghz, ATI
V5200 (R500 series), compiz enabled I'm seeing v. high CPU consumption from:
  firefox:~65%
  Xorg: ~25%

This is with BBC iplayer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer -- UK only)
running 1/4 screen (full is 1600x1200).

This is stuttery, but trying to play full screen just results in a
performance disaster.

this is with CPU power mode at "performance" - so full 2.16Ghz

Levels are:

flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-1.i386
xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.12.0-2.fc11.i586
mesa-libGL-7.5-0.5.fc11.i586
kernel-PAE-2.6.29-16.fc11.i686

As a comparison, a 720x480 wmv 24bpp 254 kbps played with mplayer, "xv"
consumes ~15%/10% (2nd figure is mplayer itself) cpu. With "x11" mode it
was ~25%/12%

Known issue? Should I raise a new bugzilla? Or is it more likely an
adobe implementation issue?

Note that for those in the UK "BBC iPlayer" really is a killer app. It's
on WII, mobile, web and allows catchup of most of BBC's output for ~1
month PVR style either via streaming or download.

Nigel.