question about git workflow

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 23:47:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:52:42 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

> > I am getting used to using git while working with upstream projects. So
> > when I try to make a patch available upstream, I encounter the following
> > problem: I want to make small commits during my work but of course send
> > the result as a single patch via git format-patch.

> "git-diff from..to" can do that.  But srsly, why not send a patch series?
> That's the beauty of git.

That only works if your temporary commits make sense. Otherwise
it's a garbage history which cannot be bisected. But I usually commit
things before lunch. Git has many beauties, one is that commits cost
you nothing. Also, free backups.

> > And the final question: When I got to the point of sending one single
> > patch and upstream merges it, how can I resync with upstream without
> > having to clone again?
>
> git-rebase typically.

Woa, a cannon against sparrows. Although, if you're a big enthusiast
of branches... But I just clone and pull all the time instead.

-- Pete