RFC: automagically set wireless regulatory domain in cfg80211

Christoph Höger choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 2 13:04:37 UTC 2009

Hi,

as you might know kernel module cfg80211 has a parameter to set the
regulatory domain:

parm:           ieee80211_regdom:IEEE 802.11 regulatory domain code
(charp)

By default the following channels are allowed:

          Channel 01 : 2.412 GHz
          Channel 02 : 2.417 GHz
          Channel 03 : 2.422 GHz
          Channel 04 : 2.427 GHz
          Channel 05 : 2.432 GHz
          Channel 06 : 2.437 GHz
          Channel 07 : 2.442 GHz
          Channel 08 : 2.447 GHz
          Channel 09 : 2.452 GHz
          Channel 10 : 2.457 GHz
          Channel 11 : 2.462 GHz
          Channel 36 : 5.18 GHz
          Channel 40 : 5.2 GHz
          Channel 44 : 5.22 GHz
          Channel 48 : 5.24 GHz
          Channel 52 : 5.26 GHz
          Channel 56 : 5.28 GHz
          Channel 60 : 5.3 GHz
          Channel 64 : 5.32 GHz

This means, I am missing some channels here in good old germany (e.g. 12
& 13). Apparently the US domain seems to be a subset of the EU domain,
so I can not use channels that are prohibited by the EU domain.

So wouldn't it make sense to ask for the current locale and set the
parameter in /etc/modprobe.d when updating/installing either the kernel
or module-init-tools?

regards

christoph