%config files and upgrade to F11 - consider noreplace

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Mon Mar 2 13:27:47 UTC 2009

Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> mitr, it would help if you actually answer the question that everyone's
> trying to ask even if they aren't phrasing it right :-)
>
> 1. rpmdb has md5 of old vanilla config file.
> 2. rpm package has sha256 of vanilla new config file.
> 3. rpm computes md5 of config on filesystem
> 4. rpm sees that md5 of config on filesystem and config of vanilla file
> differ => user has modified file.

--> Need to keep modified file and install new one, user has to apply
    local changes by hand.

> 5. rpm sees the vanilla hashes are of different type.
> 6. rpm computes md5 of vanilla new config file.
> 7. rpm compares md5 of both vanilla config files to determine whether
> the packager has modified the file.

This is irrelevant. Just install the new configuration file. If it
didn't change since the installed version, nothing (relevant)
changed. If it changed, it is now the vanilla configuration, just as for
a install (not update).

> You told me on IRC that this wasn't realistic because rpm would have to
> open the file twice.  Care to elaborate so everyone can understand?

Strange, true.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513