why doesn't installation setup /var/tmp/rpm?

Joe Nall joe at nall.com
Tue Mar 3 15:39:57 UTC 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 7:27 AM, Neal Becker wrote:

> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 08:13:26 -0500
>> Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I always have to do
>>> mkdir /var/tmp/rpm
>>> chmod 1777 /var/tmp/rpm
>>
>> What's it needed for? I've never needed to do this.
>>
>> Paul.
>>
> If I don't then when I run yum I always get a flood of messages saying
> 'unable to get backing store ...' or something like that.  This has
> been
> true on every machine I've setup for Fedora for many releases back.

I've never had to do this and don't have a /var/tmp/rpm. I suspect you
are installing something or carrying some state forward that requires
this.

Try installing a stock F10. yum update. Then start adding your local
preferences/repos/apps. yum update after each. Find out what changes
yum's configuration.

joe