fedora-devel-announce for ABI/API/soname breakage announcements (was: Re: Plans for tomorrow's (20090306) FESCo meeting)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Mar 6 06:03:02 UTC 2009

On 05.03.2009 21:44, Jon Stanley wrote:

> 57	Make stronger policy/guideline that ABI/API/soname breakage should
> always be announced fedora-devel-announce (not f-d-l)

Why not simply mail f-d-l as well as all the maintainers of packages
that are affected (and not fedora-devel-announce!)? A simple command
line script is able to do that in case MTA's like sendmail or postfix
are properly configured. That script likely could write a comma
separated list that people can cut-n-paste to Thunderbird, Kmail and
other MUA's if needed.

Reason: I for one slowly start to get annoyed by the slowly increasing
traffic on fedora-devel-announce that clutters my inbox. Thus I started
to consider to move mails from that list into some IMAP folder
automatically, and that is exactly what we didn't want people to do when
fedora-devel-announce was created. I think we said something like "less
then 10 mails a month" back when we created it, but I could not find
that on a quick google search :-/

CU
thl

P.S.: I on purpose comment here on the list and not in the ticket where
this comment would be hidden by most of those that will be are affected
by the change.