FESCo Meeting Summary - 2009-03-06

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 23:56:24 UTC 2009

2009/3/7 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>

> David Nielsen wrote:
>
> > 2009/3/6 Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>
> >

> >> * Banshee as default Media player -
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BansheeAsDefaultMediaplayer
> >>
> >> FESCo disapproved this feature, with 4 negative votes.
> >>

> > I did not see this one the action list for this meeting, nor was I even
> > invited to argue the case for this. I would at least have liked to know
> > that my proposal was going on the chopping block before you discard it so
> > I could see what to improve for a F12 proposal.
>
> What apps are the default on a given spin is a decision which should really
> be taken by the SIG maintaining the spin, in this case the GNOME/Desktop
> SIG (i.e. essentially the RH Desktop Team).

Which is why Empathy has a feature page, the very reason I went this route.
Suggest an improvement, then see what would be said and maybe.. just maybe
have a meaningful technical debate on the merits of the proposal.

> I'd be really pissed off if somebody tried to decide what apps the KDE spin
> should ship by writing a feature page without ever discussing it with the
> KDE SIG and sending it directly to FESCo, also completely ignoring live CD
> size constraints (as you did).

I followed the feature proposal guide to the letter, additionalyl you are
most welcome to go back and read. I never ignore the contraints of the live
CD, it was always mentioned as a con, I even offered suggestions and the
hours it needed to get them implemented. Hell when bugs where filed on
issues, I and the other maintainer was on top of it and tried to get them
resolved as quickly as possible. I might be many things but I am honest. I
did this from a desire to improve Fedora.

I have instead gotten disrespectful personal mail, the only feedback I have
gotten when asking the SIG in question was in the same tones you just used,
from the maintainer (and source of aformentioned nasty mail) of the product
I proposed to replace. My proposal page was defaced in a more unprofessional
manner (same guy).

I tried to answer critics, I offered, and contacted upstream to ask them to
help answer questions (to which they kindly agreed). when instead of a
productive debate as was requested no such debate ever took place. Looking
back at the IRC log I am left with a foul taste in my mouth, mentions of
what RHEL supports and how it's not a bad thing to discriminate based on
language.

I did this, out of the desire to make Fedora better. The sign on my door
says Fedora volunteer. It does so for a reason. I am frankly disgusted by
this whole affair, especially since my honesty and motives were brought into
question.

I think FESCo made the right decision here.

And even if they did not, we abide by it. This is FEScos world, we just live
in it.