FESCo Meeting Summary - 2009-03-06

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 11:39:10 UTC 2009

2009/3/9 Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>:
> So David has stopped being a Fedora volunteer and decided to become an
> Ubuntu user instead:
>
> http://davidnielsen.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/drawing-my-own-conclusion/

Well, he hasn't _specifically_ said he's off to Ubuntu but lets not split hairs.

> I seem to be in a minority, but I think this is a great shame.  We
> should treat volunteers much better.  FESCo shouldn't shoot down
> proposals without telling the owners of those proposals (no matter how
> stupid they think the proposal is, it's courteous to arrange a time
> when that person can be present and state their case).

I don't think you are in the minority thinking it is a shame when a
contributor leaves a project. I only really follow the lists these
days but there are names you come to recognise due the frequency with
which they appear and David's was one. I do think this is a very
unfortunate episode and think the time is probably ripe for a
re-enforcing of Fedora's position on Mono and would invite FESCo or
the FPL to make one.

> I will just note here that Ubuntu has a code of conduct which is worth
> reading:
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct

I for one would welcome the introduction of the above for Fedora. Lets
not get snooty - its perfectly good but would need some modification
as Fedora doesn't have a SABDFL. It would also be good to take some
positives from all of this.

Regards

--
Christopher Brown