Headsup: soname changing ImageMagick update coming 2 rawhide

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 9 21:37:31 UTC 2009

HdG> Hi all,
HdG> A bit late in the release cycle, but I delayed it to not disrupt the
HdG> mass rebuild. I'm updating ImageMagick to 6.4.9-9

HdG> Which changes the soname (and ABI) of the included libraries.
HdG> The following packages are affected by this and will need to be rebuild
HdG> (once the new ImageMagick is in the build repo):

> Why are you doing this the *day* of the freeze?  Unless you are
> prepared to rebuild all the deps yourself, this means that beta will
> probably ship with a boatload of broken deps.

> If you haven't done so already, can you please hold off until after
> the beta freeze is over?

Case in point, evolution-brutus failed rebuild due to some kind of
API/ABI changes:

checking ifaddrs.h presence... yes
checking for ifaddrs.h... yes
checking for getifaddrs... yes
checking for nanosleep... yes
checking for wand/magick-wand.h... no
configure: error:  development header not installed
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.18zCEt (%build)
RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.18zCEt (%build)
Child returncode was: 1
EXCEPTION: Command failed. See logs for output.
 # ['bash', '--login', '-c', 'rpmbuild -bb --target x86_64 --nodeps builddir/build/SPECS/evolution-brutus.spec']
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mock/trace_decorator.py", line 70, in trace
    result = func(*args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mock/util.py", line 324, in do
    raise mock.exception.Error, ("Command failed. See logs for output.\n # %s" % (command,), child.returncode)
Error: Command failed. See logs for output.
 # ['bash', '--login', '-c', 'rpmbuild -bb --target x86_64 --nodeps builddir/build/SPECS/evolution-brutus.spec']
LEAVE do --> EXCEPTION RAISED

full logs:

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=1233500&name=build.log

So does octave-forge (although it may not be directly related to ImageMagick):

The point is that other maintainers need time, not just to rebuild,
but to track down these build failures and < 24 hours is not long
enough.

In general it would be a good idea for those who are breaking
ABI/API/soname investigate the possible extent of the breakage by
doing some scratch builds of affected packages *before* kicking off
the changes, especially when the list of packages is over past the
15-20 number and that maintainer of the package doing the breaking
doesn't maintain most of the affected packages.  The onus should be on
the ABI/API breaker to find out the extent of the problem, possible
gotchas and possible fixes/workarounds, not the breakee.

Alex