DeviceKit is marked complete, what about utf8

Muayyad AlSadi alsadi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 18:24:11 UTC 2009

============
note: sorry in advance if I'm a little bit nervous
============
I don't agree,
to us  [people who need UTF-8] this mean that we should trace fixes in
every desktop
xfce lxde ...etc.

kde people are the worst in internationalization
I remember in kde 2.0 that they promised to fix RTL problem in KDE 3.0
and they started to work at 3.0 but it was garbage support
it took **years** to get them fixed till 3.5
and when they are almost perfect in 3.5
they drop all the RTL support
and started the make same very stupid assumption from zero on 4.x
and we have a big pile of RTL problems
most of them are due to the same lessons that they should learn from KDE 3.0

just look to this game how does it behave [if you know the game]
http://www.linuxac.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6226&stc=1&d=1235172412

most people who helped KDE project to mature through all the years are
bored to repeat all that process, they just gave up and moved to
gnome.

put yourself in my shoe and you will see things moving backward!
why are we moving backward without any reasonable benefit ?
why people make the wrong assumptions ?
why do we have to discuss trivial things on every project release ?

If you want my opinion
it's to squeeze upstream kernel developers till they accept the patch
"You stupid! Linux is international this is a fact. This world is
multinational love it, or leave it"
as sharp and as bold as Linus when he shows his ego

to force people to default to latin-1 is a very stupid assumption
it's double stupid to be assumed in this century were I socialize more
to people who are in USA, Europe or even South Africa more than I do
with my relatives in the city 20KM away

I know that fedorians can do that, yes I'm talking to you Alan!
redhat and fedora have sufficient momentum in the kernel development
to make that patch accepted.

the only argument I got was this <<EOQ

Forcing utf8 in the kernel was the wrong idea - see bug 454013 for an example
of the problems that caused. Further it made Fedora behave differently from all
other Linux distributions when mounting vfat volumes, which is bad.
EOQ

the Russian person who reported the bug says that he uses
> ru_RU.cp1251 or ru_RU.koi8r
but
grep '^ru' /usr/share/system-config-language/locale-list
ru_RU.UTF-8 utf8 latarcyrheb-sun16 Russian  -  Русский
ru_UA.UTF-8 utf8 latarcyrheb-sun16 Russian (Ukraine)

so it's his customization which lead to the problem not the patch

there used to be problems with iocharset=utf8, but they were solved by
passing utf8 withno iocharset=

excuse me I was angry, I'll try to be calm in the next section of this mail

to summarize what have you done by removing this patch
1. you replaced one place of solution into unknown so many possible
places of bugs [devicekit, hal, X Y Z desktops, cli commands, unknown
number of mount umount desktop applets in less famous WM like window
Maker...]
2. you introduced incompatibility with previous fedora releases
people who are using previous releases won't be able to see their
files correctly
[BTW: unlike utf8 which can be validated, latin can't be so it will
just produce rubbish if it's invalid]
3. you introduced new incompatibility levels between the same release
of fedora [take the possibility of having some file created in one
desktop then mounted in another, after logging of or after using live
user switch]

as for 1. non of the so many introduced bugs are solved yet since I
reported them in F10 betas, I doubt that most can be solved with this
mentality

as for 2. you preferred to be compatible with upstream or "other
distros" rather than fedora
regarding upstream, I'm not convinced that fedorians can't upstream
such humble a clean patch
and if other distros refers to ubuntu have you checked their launchpad
to see how many bugs are filed because they don't have that kernel
patch

as for 3. it reminds me with a joke, some one lost a golden ring in
some apartment, and since then he is searching for it  in all other
apartments in the world. Do you think he could find it ?

the ring was lost in the kernel
not in hal nor in devicekit and of course not in kde nor gnome
patching so many other projects is more stupid than the man in the joke
-------
I know that you already made your mind to remove the patch
but in this case you should provide a single place that solves the problem

for example make both hal have a fdi policy that sources
/etc/sysconfig/filesystem
to get the values needed to be passed to the kernel when mounting

and same thing for DeviceKit
to at least make sure that at least kde, gnome and xfce will work out of the box
consistently
[ah and patch kde not to use utf8 but keeping hals default which
sources /etc/sysconfig/filesystem]

another joke about two people visiting a relative in the 97th floor on
a twin tower, they were using the stairs and just before the 97 floor
one of them said I have a bad news and a good news (...) the good news
that there is one more floor to go
the bad news we are on the wrong tower
EOJ

so if you solved the problem in hal or devicekit and still have some
issues here or there is just like having one more floor *in the wrong
tower*