setup, fedora-release updates needed

Ondřej Vašík ovasik at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 11:27:35 UTC 2009

Bill Crawford wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 March 2009 20:35:36 Jon Masters wrote
> > I just did an update on a fresh installed system and noticed that a
> > small number of packages are still in need of appropriate config file
> > changes to their spec files. Especially setup and fedora-release should
> > not be creating .rpmnew files on upgrade.
> OK, but you need to turn the current distribution of /etc/passwd into a series
> of "useradd" commands in %post, not just "nowarn" it. Otherwise any additions
> to the default set of users will get lost (although now I think about it, I
> don't think you've added any in a long time :o)).

Package setup can't use post scriptlet (ok, maybe can use lua ... but
it's not likely to have it there) - due to dependencies. I did
quick&dirty way in rawhide - removing the most useless .rpmnew files in
postun section - but user will still receive warnings about creating
those files. AFAIK there is no other way at the moment (I requested RFE
http://www.rpm.org/ticket/6 to have nowarn config file option) - please
let me know if you know some way how to not bother users with
useless .rpmnew file, but do not replace their files on update (as it
would have horrible consequences in the case of file like /etc/passwd
and/or /etc/shadow. Just for completeness - now it works the way that
user/group added to default set of user/groups is created in post
section of the ALL packages which actually need it for 2 Fedora
releases. Worth of improvement, but don't know how to handle it better
way for updates.

Greetings,
         Ondřej Vašík