WANTED: Clever solution for Transifex storage

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Mar 11 12:52:08 UTC 2009

2009/3/11 Till Maas <opensource at till.name>:
> On Mi März 11 2009, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>
>> Right now, a stock install of the transifex package
>> creates /var/lib/transifex. This directory and everything beneath it is
>> currently owned by root:root. What needs to happen is that it needs to
>> be read/written by whatever is running Transifex, be that as a
>> standalone Django app, via httpd, or some other HTTP server. Frankly, I
>> got nothing. Anyone else have any ideas?
>
> The best solution I found for me if I want to rw access a directory with
> different users is to use bindfs:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/bindfs/

ACLs would be a way simpler, built-in-to-the-kernel solution for this problem.

In the bigger picture I'm skeptical of trying to make server software
work 100% out of the box in more than a few configurations, let alone
arbitrary HTTP servers.  Just have a good, supported default and maybe
one or two others, and everyone else can run chmod -R or create config
fragments or whatever.