setup, fedora-release updates needed

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 11 16:20:37 UTC 2009

Ondřej Vašík wrote:
> do not replace their files on update (as it would have horrible
> consequences in the case of file like /etc/passwd and/or /etc/shadow.

Ah... given that users should be running as a normal (!root) account
created at install time, isn't it *guaranteed impossible* to update
/etc/passwd by replacing the old unmodified file with the new?

Here's a pie-in-the-sky idea... store configs as deltas (since at least
~2-4 releases back), write the .rpmnew as always, and notify the user to
run a merge tool after the transaction completes. No more diffing and
merging by hand, except in the face of merge conflicts...

--
Matthew
Microsoft has become the next IBM; a dinosaur struggling to survive in