ISA IDE no longer supported?

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Thu Mar 12 12:44:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 04:16:58AM -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> So, I pulled out a Toshiba Satellite 325CDS (P233 MMX) laptop for the
> purpose of GPS logging for OpenStreetMap. The idea being I can leave it
> in my car and if anything I feel sorry for the idiot who bothers to
> steal such a fossil. Unfortunately I can't get F10 to install on it. The
> kernel sees no IDE controllers. It seems the "new" libata drivers do not
> work with plain old ISA IDE. Pentium era laptops typically didn't have
> PCI IDE. Another nail in the coffin for i586.
>
> Is this supposed to work, or am I on my own?

I think it is supposed to work with the pata_legacy driver.
Unfortunately, I've had no luck getting that to work and insufficient
motivation to learn enough about IDE to fix it... :-(

Hmmm...looks like PATA_LEGACY depends on ISA.  I think you are out
of luck, at least for stock kernels.

John
--
John W. Linville		Linux should be at the core
linville at redhat.com			of your literate lifestyle.