F10 Fresh Vanilla Install with Updates Has Broken NetworkManager

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Mar 16 18:14:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 11:17 -0500, Jud Craft wrote:
> > I don't think it would be ignored, however its just hard to express that
> > in a distro agnostic way.  Avoiding hardcoded hacks specifically for
> > Fedora is one of the goals of anaconda upstream.
>
> Perhaps Anaconda (or Yum?) should have a slight refactoring of the way
> it handles repositories.
>
> It could be able to flag a repository as a "subset" of another
> repository (DVD <= Main), and one repository as dependent on another.
> (Updates -> Main).
>
> Then, enabling Updates should automatically enable Main.  But since
> Main is just a superset of DVD, yum (or Anaconda) know to use DVD
> packages whenever present to cut the install time.
>
> This could be yum logic (lot of refactoring there, upstream changes,
> maybe a bad idea) or perhaps just logic on the Anaconda side at the
> select-repository-screen.  Anaconda could just handle the subset logic
> itself using yum costs in a way to prefer the subset repository first.

I think yum would be the logical place to handle this, because as the
problem is described, you could potentially hit it another way.

Do a clean install of Fedora 10. Then enable the Updates repository but
not the Everything repository. Try to update. I would expect it will
fail, because libudev0 won't be available for the NetworkManager update.

It seems that, the way we handle updates in Fedora, the updates
repository more or less 'depends' on the Everything repository. This
should therefore be enforced in yum somehow, in a way that anaconda will
respect. That should solve the problem in future in all cases.

(In MDV, FWIW, when this situation occurs - an update introduces a
dependency that didn't exist before - the package for the new dependency
is added to the updates repository, even if it has not been updated).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey