Experience and observations of F11a/rawhide so far

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Mar 16 19:10:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 23:22 +0000, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:

> . Pulseaudio stuttering and proper device control ... It's quite funny
>   seeing mplayer suggest that my 2GHz AMD64 system, with Audigy 2 audio,
>   "might not be fast enough" to play media. The "tsched=0" setting does
>   help somewhat, but this really needs to be addressed. Another issue is
>   the lack of equaliser controls (bass/treble) which is provided by the
>   DSP on the card. I really want to see more than just "Master" when I
>   open volume control. No, seriously, I really, really do.

Handy workaround:

alsamixer -c0

will get you what you want.

For the PulseAudio guys this is complicated by the fact that the
potential set of available channels from ALSA is hideously complicated,
and it's not at all easy to know which ones are useful to expose to the
user for any given card. And the PA guys really, really don't just want
to expose the whole bundle of channels for each card through the PA
configuration interface somehow, because making people figure out which
of 16 channels they need to poke to make their sound do what they want
it to is horrible.

Personally I mostly lay the blame for this mess at ALSA's door, they
really should make a better effort to have channel names and behaviour
as consistent as possible between different drivers, which would at
least make it vaguely possible to have a stab at exposing only the most
usually important channels in a simplified configuration interface. As
it is, trying to figure out what to expose from each card / driver
combination is just a nightmare. Heck, trying to figure out sane
defaults is a nightmare.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey