Experience and observations of F11a/rawhide so far

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Mar 16 20:35:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:10:00 -0700,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 23:22 +0000, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
>
> Personally I mostly lay the blame for this mess at ALSA's door, they
> really should make a better effort to have channel names and behaviour
> as consistent as possible between different drivers, which would at
> least make it vaguely possible to have a stab at exposing only the most
> usually important channels in a simplified configuration interface. As
> it is, trying to figure out what to expose from each card / driver
> combination is just a nightmare. Heck, trying to figure out sane
> defaults is a nightmare.

Dropping the gnome volume manager while it was still useful wasn't a great
idea either. It took me a while to find out about using alsamixer.
First I had to figure out something was wrong related to alsa. If I hadn't
had a second rawhide instance where sound was working reasonably, I probably
would have just assumed it was hopelessy broken. Then once I started looking
I had to search for potential apps that could help me diagnose or fix the
problem. I eventually stumbled accross alsamixer which allowed me to fix
things.

Hopefully, if the situation is the same at release, that alsamixer gets
mentioned in the release notes.