F10 Fresh Vanilla Install with Updates Has Broken NetworkManager

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Tue Mar 17 01:45:41 UTC 2009

Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> writes:
> On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 13:57 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> NM might be great for laptops, but it's both useless and pernicious in
>> a static-IP environment.  In both F9 and F10 I've had to turn it off,
>> and the single most annoying thing about it is *you can't really turn
>> it off*.  There are pieces of it that keep coming to life anyway ...
>> eg bz #455825 and the fact that it keeps demanding my VPN password

> If NM is off, it's not going to touch your resolv.conf.

That was what you told me at the time, ignoring the fact that it
nonetheless *was* overwriting resolv.conf.  I do appreciate the fact
that that behavior went away in F-10, though.

>> when I'm not using it to control the VPN.

> Are you sure it's asking for your VPN password?

Quite; it says my "network credentials have expired", or words to that
effect (not at the machine right now) in a password popup dialog.
Today I got as far as determining that this seems to be coming from
nm-system-settings, which apparently is getting dbus events about
vpn start/stop and is convinced that that's its turf even though
the NetworkManager service is off.  Unless I'm missing something,
there is no configuration knob provided to disable the dbus sniffer.
So I'm down to rpm -e NetworkManager, which I have now done and will
soon see if I still have a working system ...

			regards, tom lane