InstantMirror Project: Google Summer of Code 2009

Ed Swierk eswierk at aristanetworks.com
Thu Mar 19 00:35:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> The original InstantMirror was an attempt to make a reverse proxy server
> suitable for a yum repository.  I quickly decided that approach was a
> dead-end architecturally then got busy on other things.

The original InstantMirror certainly has its limitations, but in its
defense I would point out that it's survived a couple of years of
constant use as the default Fedora repo at my company, with zero
maintenance (I'm not even sure where the machine hosting it has
gone...).

(See http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01699.html
for some background on this tool.)

I see the old bzr repository is no more; I'd be happy to host the
current version of the code (all 120 lines of it) elsewhere if anyone
is interested in using or extending it. Perhaps I should rename it to
avoid confusion with the new-and-improved InstantMirror?

--Ed