InstantMirror Project: Google Summer of Code 2009

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Mar 19 02:53:35 UTC 2009

Ed Swierk wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
>> The original InstantMirror was an attempt to make a reverse proxy server
>> suitable for a yum repository.  I quickly decided that approach was a
>> dead-end architecturally then got busy on other things.
>
> The original InstantMirror certainly has its limitations, but in its
> defense I would point out that it's survived a couple of years of
> constant use as the default Fedora repo at my company, with zero
> maintenance (I'm not even sure where the machine hosting it has
> gone...).

Wow, you are using it despite the lack of cleanup?  You don't run out of
  disk space?

Do you actually make use of the directory and filenames where it stores
the files directly?  If not, then you will find that a reverse squid
proxy cache works great because it cleans up after itself.

> (See http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg01699.html
> for some background on this tool.)
>
> I see the old bzr repository is no more; I'd be happy to host the
> current version of the code (all 120 lines of it) elsewhere if anyone
> is interested in using or extending it. Perhaps I should rename it to
> avoid confusion with the new-and-improved InstantMirror?

If you want to continue development of it, that would be a good idea.
Sorry I didn't think to ask if you objected to reusing the name.  I
thought the project was fully dead.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com