A supposedly patent-free suggestion/solution to the curious subpixel rendering in Fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Mar 23 15:33:04 UTC 2009

Jud Craft wrote:
> 1.  Try out freetype-freeworld:  restores the bytecode interpreter to
> Freetype and some adds filtering, patent-infringing, stuck in
> RPMFusion, can't be merged into Fedora.

Apart from the bytecode interpreter, freetype-freeworld just enables the
subpixel rendering in the upstream freetype. So does Fedora's freetype
since Fedora 10. (It was disabled in F9, it got reenabled in F10, I have no
idea what the rationale was for each of those decisions.) So these days the
only difference between freetype and freetype-freeworld is the bytecode
interpreter.

If somebody is willing to look at the mess of patches from Ubuntu and
elsewhere and make a freetype-freeworld package including those, they're
welcome to take over freetype-freeworld maintainership from me. (Heck, I
don't actually *use* that package. I mostly just packaged it to show that
it can easily be done thanks to ld.so.conf.d. :-) )

        Kevin Kofler