System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Mar 24 17:45:29 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 18:38:40 Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
wrote:
> > Quite a lot of people still don't want to use NetworkManager. It makes
> > little sense on a system which just sits there connected to a static IP
> > address 24/7.
>
> I think it does because it provides a useful networking API for other
> applications to consume.  For example, answering the question "is
> there an active network link" was effectively impossible for app
> authors before.

Yes, this make sense and it's really quite useful - applications know current
network state. So now we should collect what is still missing in NM and what
do we really need to have.

> Also, in my opinion on a well-managed network if you want a fixed IP
> address, the right way to do it is MAC matching on the DHCP server,
> not client configuration.  And NetworkManager works well in such a
> setup.

+1, but there are still devices that don't allow this (as my ADSL router, I
can only have random IP, no MAC binding available).

Jaroslav