System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:03:17 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 17:38:40 Colin Walters wrote:

> Also, in my opinion on a well-managed network if you want a fixed IP
> address, the right way to do it is MAC matching on the DHCP server,
> not client configuration.  And NetworkManager works well in such a
> setup.

You're entitled to your opinion, but not everyone wants to have to set up DHCP,
and not everyone wants to have to go their sysadmin and request configuration
changes to the corporate DHCP server just to change some piece of configuration
FOR THEIR LOCAL MACHINE with all the annoyance to the sysadmin, timewasting for
me, and so on.

It used to be nice and simple; you put the DNS server(s) in /etc/resolv.conf or
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth0, you got a network connection when the
system booted.

It's not always correct to remove the DNS settings from /etc/resolv.conf when
you shut the machine down; I disabled NM on my rawhide test install because I
could no longer chroot into it from my older system and run "yum" to update (or
a number of other things) due to "host not found" errors.

NetworkManager may "work" well in some setups; it's just annoying to see it
touted as a panacæa when it plainly isn't handling a lot of nice simple setups
at all well.