System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 24 18:21:26 UTC 2009

Colin Walters wrote:
> Also, in my opinion on a well-managed network if you want a fixed IP
> address, the right way to do it is MAC matching on the DHCP server,
> not client configuration.

I disagree. I want to be able to configure boxes to match DNS entries
without also having to fiddle with the DHCP configuration. (Besides,
what if the NIC goes bad? It's easier to just swap it out and continue
running the old config on the new hardware than to have to update DHCP.)

In the instance where the machine admins are also the network admins, I
tend to agree (and in fairness that's how I run my home network), but
when the machine admins are in a totally separate group (and, for that
matter, thousands of miles geographically displaced as well) it doesn't
work so well. (In such cases, it sometimes ends up you have to ask
people to memorize IP addresses until IT gets around to fixing DNS,
never mind trying to get them to manage static DHCP leases as well.)

--
Matthew
  ,= ,-_-. =.    Freedom to Use