System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 20:15:22 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 20:07:45 Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Christoph Wickert
>
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Even when using Ethernet, I find it useful for initiating a VPN
> >> connection when I need it, or re-initiating a connection when the vpn
> >> drops for whatever reason.
> >
> > Agreed, but how many of our users are using VPN? 2%? 5%?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Christoph
>
> Possibly, but why make it hard for those 2% plus those that
> plug/unplug their desktop/routers., plus those with laptop, all
> because some guys don't want NM tickling their kernels every minute?

Noone is saying that.

I suspect some people might be thinking "why affect the 98% for the benefit of a
handful of people who, if they are using a VPN, could probably manage to click
on a button in an applet, or launch a command from a menu, or type something in
order to bring up the VPN?" ...

I'd love to see an applet that let you go "hey, please start this interface".
Oh, wait, we used to have one ...