Ubuntu promises DIY Amazon cloud

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 02:28:26 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 26 2009, Rahul Sundaram said:
>> Neal Becker wrote:
>> > Sounds interesting:
>> > http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=117904
>>
>> It is just packaging up
>>
>> http://eucalyptus.cs.ucsb.edu/
>
> One problem is that Eucalyptus is Xen based -- since the Xen dom0 work
> isn't done upstream yet (and thus we're not shipping a dom0 in Fedora),
> there's more than just packaging to be done if someone really wants to
> integrate this into Fedora

The new 1.5 version has kvm support is my understanding. And
Eucalyptus just opened up their bzr repository for public consumption
so you can start pulling the 1.5 tree and working with the kvm
support.

Canonical has had preferential access to pre-release 1.5 code for
awhile and has been shipping unofficial 1.5 versions as part of Jaunty
alpha testing. In fact the only way to get the kvm enabled version up
until last week was to take the tarballs from Jaunty source packages
as the upstream project itself was not making 1.5 pre-release code
available even as a bzr tree.  I should have talked to the project
lead sooner than I did about making source publicly accessible. I
didn't expect them to give preferential access to Canonical.

I think there are a number of java related deps that would also have
to be worked on, which makes this a somewhat more complicated thing to
get packaged up.

-jef