another interesting idea (zfs based upgrades)

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Fri Mar 27 17:49:39 UTC 2009

Hi.

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:50:10 +0100, Matej Cepl wrote

> Well, there are some advantages of monolithic monsters, but
> I prefer The Unix Way ... do one thing and do it well.

Yes, and I usually agree with that. But one might also argue that
splitting the "storage problem" into RAID/LVM/Filesystem creates
an unnatural division of a single problem.

But that has been discussed to death elsewhere and does not bear
repeating here. I'd just like to say that I was sceptical of the
ZFS concept as well until I tried it.

> Am I right
> that OpenSolaris still doesn't have disk encryption in its basic
> installation? I mean, really?

Per dataset encryption fully integrated into ZFS does not exist
at this time, right. Encryption via loopback file systems exists
(which does not work for ZFS unless you do some really ugly
things)