A supposedly patent-free suggestion/solution to the curious subpixel rendering in Fedora

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Mar 27 18:32:01 UTC 2009

On 03/27/2009 02:25 PM, Jud Craft wrote:
> 2009/3/27 Callum Lerwick<seg at haxxed.com>:
>> Note that a FreeType developer is not so convinced that SubLCD is
>> completely in the clear:
>>
>> http://david.freetype.org/cleartype-patents.htm
>
> That is very interesting.  I would be curious to hear his opinion on
> Qt's method.  Patents are so very...complicated.

The subject of this thread is FALSE.  I wonder whether the person starting the
thread even read the page he quoted.  All the Qt page is saying is that they
now implement all the different subpixel filters that FreeType supports (in a
patent-infringing build).  There is NO new algorithm involved.  Go read it for
yourself:

   http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2008/09/01/subpixel-antialiasing-on-x11/

To quote: "Note that the filtering we use in Qt 4.4 and earlier is pretty much
the same as Freetype’s default filtering, but unlike before we now also
support the other filtering settings."

Any kind of subpixel filtering is covered by those patents.  Just stop it already.

behdad
Your pissed off text stack maintainer