Why does pm-utils/NM bring down the network for hibernate/suspend?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 20:32:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> I'll ask my question a different way I guess:
>
> Why does pm-utils/NM bring down the network for hibernate/suspend?

I think the main reason is that when you resume, it's unknown that
you're on the same network or even if you're on a network at all. So,
pm-utils tells NM over dbus to sleep and wake around suspend/resume.
This causes NM to reestablish connections. Anything smarter about what
to do would have to be done in NM.

You can skip the hook if you want.

echo 'HOOK_BLACKLIST="10NetworkManager"' > /etc/pm/config.d/hook-blacklist

--
Dan