F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Fri Mar 27 23:12:12 UTC 2009

On Friday 27 March 2009 18:04:11 Gerry Reno wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > I'm not concerned about it either.  I don't run X directly on my
> > servers, so the whole VM thing is a little bit of hogwash to me.  ssh
> > exported X works just fine for when I need something graphical,
> > otherwise it's CLI.
> >
> > What exactly is your use case that you need a local functioning X on all
> > these systems in your data center and virtual hosts?
>
> X servers are everywhere these days.  Even on some of our servers and
> VM's.  We have servers hosting test VM's for users and we have X running
> so that we can bring up the graphical virtualization tools so we can run
> the VM's console and see what is happening with a particular users VM X
> server.

I have to agree with Jesse on this.  It sounds like you are getting a lot more
exercise than a SysAdmin should.  ;-)

I am surprised that you have so many systems on which this is apparently a
problem and yet you do not do provisioning where a simple config change would
resolve it.  Even without provisioning for installs, any config provisioning
would easily handle this.

I am also a SysAdmin, and I do (very rarely) use this key combination, but
certainly not often enough to see this as a big deal.  There are soooo many
ways around this change and around the need for the key combination in the
first place.

I wish you luck in your upstream fight.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes