another interesting idea (zfs based upgrades)

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 23:07:41 UTC 2009

On 2009-03-27, 17:49 GMT, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Per dataset encryption fully integrated into ZFS does not exist
> at this time, right. Encryption via loopback file systems exists
> (which does not work for ZFS unless you do some really ugly
> things)

I understand that it is not that big deal in server deployment
(which is what enteprise Linux/Unix providers care for), although
I am not sure whether I would like to have unencrypted disks in
huge datahosting company racks, but it is certainly quite
different with desktop deployment -- I am just not allowed to
have unencrypted /home on my notebook with Red Hat on it.

I am not saying that ZFS is bad (that would be crazy, it IS
probably the most advanced filesystem of enterprise quality
available today), but that we Linuxists shouldn't suffer that
much feeling of inferiority for not having it.

Besides, I have both on this office computer and my notebook at
home BTRFS on /var (I wouldn't let it go further than to /var
;-)). I think in the moment BTRFS will mature enough to be
enterprise-level ready ZFS will get a good run for its money.

Matěj