F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 09:45:20 UTC 2009

On Saturday 28 March 2009 09:31:29 Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Could someone please explain what's going on. The only documentation
> in Fedora i see about this decision is in the F11 alpha release notes.
> Maybe everyone reads them but me, however it would be nice if these
> kind of significant changes were announced.
>
> Its been said that this decision was taken upstream. My initial
> Googling shows this first being brought up as an idea in Ubuntu [1]
> where it is shown as implemented. It is later shown as a secret poll
> on the freedesktop list [2]. Is there any reason the Xorg maintainer
> in Fedora didn't make us aware of that all this was going on?
>
> Aren't the release notes expected to be read upon release, when it is
> way to late to give input? I don't agree that adding a paragraph or
> two in the release notes are good enough for changes that effect
> everyone. Xorg seems especially guilty of making significant changes
> which are later just discovered by users.
>
> [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/xorg-ctrl-alt-backspace
> [2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-September/038786.html
>
> On 3/27/09, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> > Once upon a time, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> said:
> >> Better yet, when is it not better to use SysRq keycombos and try to
> >> diagnose things?
> >> If you can get back keyboard control via SysRq, isn't it more
> >> beneficial to make use of SysRq instead of zapping?
> >
> > Well, that's disabled by default also.
> > --
> > Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
> > Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
> > I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
> >
> > --
>
> --
> Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
> ( www.pembo13.com )

And the most funny thing is, the secret polls result was *no*
The poll was started on "Mon Sep 22 19:41:16 PDT 2008"
And on " 2008-10-07 23:30:05 (GMT)" Daniel Stone committed the "Make DontZap
the default" patch.

P.S. yes, I'm one of the guys for whom sometimes Ctrl-Alt-Fn doesn't work,
but Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does.

P.P.S. google for <"Daniel Stone" fedora>