Enable SysRq?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 11:25:42 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 10:57 +0100, Alexander Boström wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta skrev:
>
> > If you can get back keyboard control via SysRq, isn't it more
> > beneficial to make use of SysRq instead of zapping?
>
> Yes, if Alt-SysRq-K does everything Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does, and more,
> then perhaps that should be enabled by default instead?

Hm... if disabled, zillions of gnome-screenshooter windows starts to
appear (I haven't actually counted them and the amount is probably
proportional to the time I hold Alt [Gr]-SysRq before hitting K), if
enabled, caps-lock indicator starts to blink and the computer freezes
(whole computer, not only X)... Not sure how this can be helpful at
all...

> Any security implications of enabling SysRq by default?
>
> Alt-SysRq is actually "make a screenshot of the active window" in GNOME,
> but perhaps that's not such a big deal in the case when X is hosed.
>
> /abo

Martin