F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 15:26:18 UTC 2009

On Saturday 28 March 2009 19:15:28 Dan Nicholson wrote:
> 2009/3/28 Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net>:
> > Dan Nicholson wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > [2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-September/038786.html
> >

> > The poll was meaningless; that thread just captures people's
> > sentiments. When the patch was committed, it was because the X
> > developers had been talking about it for a long time as being the
> > right thing to do.
> >

> > The X developers had been talking about without ANY community input.
> > That makes for very bad decisions.  They didn't even realize that people
> > expect the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to be available to them as it has for
> > decades.  What is left unsaid is that there a lot of emacs users in
> > Xorg.  Despite the fact that they sign as "a vim user",  they're all vim
> > users but mostly emacs users,  and that's not the same as signing "not an
> > emacs user".
>
> Please stop with the conspiracy theory. This has nothing to do with
> emacs. It has everything to do with people accidentally killing their
> X session. I have no idea where you've gotten the idea that this was
> done for emacs users. Read Daniel's reply to you again.
>
> --
> Dan

Can someone, please, explain me what is a user trying to do when he
accidentally kills X?

And if the answer is: "Pressing all the buttons he sees", what stops the same
user from pressing reset/poweroff or even Ctrl-Alt-F4 + Ctrl-Alt-Del?

Oh and one more...
I also wonder why we don't disable Ctrl-Alt-Fn, cause a user may accidentally
switch to another vt and don't know how to come back.