F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Sat Mar 28 16:27:00 UTC 2009

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 06:14:15PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
>
>> Once upon a time, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> said:
>>
>>> So whoever wrote those tools confused a configurable keybinding with a
>>> supported api.
>>>
>> I don't believe that the Zap function is a configurable keybinding.  It
>> can only be triggered by Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.
>>

> You believe wrongly. It's the Terminate_Server symbol, and you can bind
> it to whatever you want with XKB.
>
> Now, arguably, a better approach would have been to leave DontZap as the
> default but remove the Terminate_Server entry from the default XKB maps.
> That would let clients rebind it if they want to, which can be done
> without requiring administrative privileges.

I also made a suggestion upstream that to protect Emacs users, the
default Ctrl-Alt-Backspace could be left enabled but that it would have
to be pressed TWICE in order to kill the X server. This way tools that
embed the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace keysequence such as virtualization tools
would still work. The user would just have to select it twice from the
menu. And this would be a lot more acceptable than just disabling the
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace default.

Regards,
Gerry