F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Joonas Sarajärvi muepsj at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 17:05:13 UTC 2009

2009/3/28 Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com>:
> 2009/3/28 Joonas Sarajärvi <muepsj at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Of course, the world isn't perfect, and there probably is need for a
>> global shortcut to kill or restart X, among other things. However, it
>> would be nice if X eventually got rid of everything ctrl-alt-something
>> (Zap, vt switches, resolution changes, etc.) , so that the
>> combinations could be used for more useful purposes, and replaced them
>> with less intrusive ones, if any, as default.
>
> That system is called XKB. You can remap keys to your heart's desire.

I know that I can configure and tweak my system to my heart's content,
but I rather get used to the default settings where it makes sense. It
eases life with multiple computers, as well as helping others to use
the same software.

I just think that the traditional X shortcuts are not a very good
solution to a problem, and a better one could be developed. I don't
know any perfect solutions, but in my opinion, it is good that some of
the most obtrusive shortcuts are already (possibly) getting a
non-default status.

While I haven't lost any important work due to X.org zapping, I fail
to see why a modern graphics system should have many keyboard
shortcuts itself in such prominent places.

I am also an Emacs user, though I haven't yet figured what control in
Emacs is close to ctrl-alt-backspace. Maybe it's the Finnish layout
that has something positioned more favourably...
--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj at gmail.com