F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Sat Mar 28 21:05:39 UTC 2009

John5342 wrote:
> I actually agree that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace should stay around but also
> respect that it is ultimately up to upstream to decide but here is a
> wacky solution that might just work. How about having a small package
> that automatically enables Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when installed (call it
> "ctrl-alt-backspace" for arguments sake). Sysadmins or people who just
> want it enabled can easily install it and even make it part of
> kickstart file for larger installations. Emacs users or anybody else
> who might accidentally hit that combo by accident can simply leave it
> uninstalled. Then we can all be happy and get on with more interesting
> arguments such as how quickly would i go blind if i just keep staring
> at the bottom of my mouse?

NO!  This means a lot of work for sysadmins around the world that is
totally unnecessary.  There is nothing wrong with the current
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace default of enabled.  Nothing.  If there are any
special packages/files to be created they need to be created only by the
tiny Emacs community users.  There is absolutely no sane reason to cause
a massive impact to sysadmins worldwide by changing a global default
that has been working successfully for decades and all for the benefit
of a tiny few in the Emacs community.  Emacs control sequences of
Ctrl-Alt-End and Ctrl-Alt-\ cause problems for Emacs users because they
can accidentally hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace as these keystroke combinations
are very close.  But that doesn't give anybody the right to thrust a
massive change on the whole Xorg community of tens of millions of
installations just so a handful of Emacs users can be protected.  What
needs to happen is that the default needs to remain as it has always
been, and the Emacs community needs to create xorg.conf entries for
their users, since they are the only ones having any type of problem
with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.  That limits the impact to a tiny number of
Emacs uses instead of the whole Xorg installations worldwide.

Regards,
Gerry