F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Sun Mar 29 18:26:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 01:16:10PM -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 18:01 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > No. The patch was written and committed by Daniel Stone, who is not an
> > Ubuntu developer. The issue was discussed with the Fedora X maintainers
> > before it was merged. Everyone involved agreed that not having a
> > keystroke that caused immediate data loss was a sensible idea.
>
> So we're disabling ctl-alt-del too?

No, since working at the console isn't an interesting desktop use case.

> If killing the X server is causing data loss, then there's a bug in your
> applications. In fact, that's an argument for ctl-alt-bs to be a regular
> part of applications testing.

I don't know about you, but I prefer my text editors not to save to disk
on every keystroke.

> ... And still doesn't address the fact that the key combo could be
> changed to something more obscure rather than disabling it completely.

What do you suggest? I'm serious here, if there's a genuinely
implausible key combination then it's not going to be rejected out of
hand - but I haven't been able to come up with one, and I haven't seen
any good suggestions.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org