Enable SysRq?

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 19:43:25 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 00:32:28 Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Alexander Boström (abo at stacken.kth.se) said:
> > Yes, if Alt-SysRq-K does everything Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does, and more,
> > then perhaps that should be enabled by default instead?
> >
> > Any security implications of enabling SysRq by default?
>
> Anyone at the keyboard can immediately reboot the box without any
> syncing, clean shutdown, or authorization at all.
>
> Aside from that, it's perfectly secure. :)
>
> Bill

Anyone at the keyboard can also pull the wire (usually).
For the cases where this isn't the desired behavior (e.g. kiosk), it can be
switched off. :)

I would be muck more concerned if there are some problems like unlocking a
locked session or similar. But if it kills all the processes on the same vt
there should be no problems like  this, should they?