F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Mar 30 20:37:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>> I'm figuring that something should be attempted so that we don't have to
>> go through this conversation a third time when f11 is released. ;-]
>
> I think that's just futile. The only way NOT to have those threads spring up
> like mushrooms is to reenable that feature by default.

No, the right solution is to examine the cases for why people were
using the key before, and come up with a design which addresses them.
This may involve writing *new code*, as opposed to e.g. just turning
on whatever code happens to exist now elsewhere (referring to the
kernel sysrq key).

While I think it's crazy to have a magic key combination which
instantly logs you out without any confirmation, it'd be very useful
to have some kind of "oh crap" key to recover from things like a
wedged fullscreen application, stuck X server grab, etc.